Monday, July 23, 2012

Protecting Ourselves

Several nights ago, I had a dream that I was being attacked by a very scary man, and I couldn't fight him off.  No matter how hard I tried to push him away, he was stronger, and I knew I was going to lose the fight. 

As everyone knows, a few days ago innocent people, just trying to watch a movie, were murdered in Colorado. 

Last night, while getting ready for bed, we heard seven gunshots.  When I put my ear to our open window, I heard a man yelling for help.  I couldn't tell where it was coming from, but luckily, the sirens approached quickly so I knew it was being taken care of.  As it turns out, an unidentified man shot at three homeless men, hitting one.


Normally, I feel very safe walking from my car at night.  I've had no concerns about living across the street from a park.  But isn't that what many victims think?

All of these incidents reminded me that all people, but especially women, need to learn to protect themselves.  I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but what could be more important?  It's frightening to think that I can live my life as a good person, not do harm to others, and still end up hurt or killed because I was in the wrong theater or walked by a neighborhood park a little later than usual.

Surely I don't have a solution to any of this chaos, but I can say that I'm looking into self-defense classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment