Friday, June 22, 2012

Avenge This!

I could write a very intelligent essay about the double standard for men and women, society's expectations of the genders in media, blahblahblah . . . but I've decided to make my point through a movie review instead.  Let's talk about The Avengers.  I'm pretty sure that all women who attended this film (most with boyfriends and husbands, I imagine) were sorely disappointed to find zero, I said ZERO, gratuitous shirtlessness.  Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man were completely covered up for over 2 hours (please don't bring up naked Bruce Banner - it's not the same, trust me).  In all three of the individual superhero films, the ladies were offered some spectacular views.  However, their most recent outing gave us nothing.  Not even a quick "I've gotta change my shirt" shot or an "Oh no my breastplate has been ripped off in battle!" situation.  I find this choice to be appalling (thanks a lot Joss Whedon).  If this were a film about an all female superpower team, the ta-ta's would've been up and out.  In this so-called "film," all of these guys, with their bulging biceps, amazingly good hair, charismatic smiles, super ripped abs, twinkly eyes . . . wait, what the hell was I talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment