Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Julia's 100th!

In honor of Julia Child's 100th birthday, I was planning on making something delicious from her recipes and posting a gorgeous picture of it.  However, it's very hot here in sunny Los Angeles and turning on the oven sounds like a terrible idea.  Instead, I'll just say Happy Birthday to a truly great woman who changed many lives.

Growing up, I watched many food t.v. shows with my grandparents, which is how I really cultivated a love of eating.  We watched hours of tv programs and tried to recreate the recipes for dinner.  Those are some of my favorite memories of my grandfather.

My favorite program (other than Child's) was "World Class Cuisine" narrated by a lady with a wonderful foreign accent.  I believe it was on one of the public broadcasting channels, though we did watch quite a bit of Food Network too.  This was long before the Food Network could boast about much.  Mario Batali's "Molto Mario" was a favorite, as well as "East Meets West" with Ming Tsai.  I miss the low budget food programming of the 80s and 90s.  Everything looks so slick or comes in the form of competitions now.  Sometimes I just want to watch a really amazing chef cook, especially on location in his or her restaurant.

None of us would be the amateur chefs that we are today (or be able to make such wonderful family memories through cooking) if not for Julia Child and her determination to bring decent cooking to the people!  So thank you and happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment